Monday, August 23, 2010

The Welcome Mat

The welcome mat in front of my door looks rough! I am either very sentimental or quite lazy because I have had the same welcome mat since I moved away from home after high school. This welcome mat has weathered four years of college, a move to Nashville TN, a move to Montgomery, AL, and now 11 years after its debut finds its current residence in Prattville, AL. I like my worn out mat. It is a reminder of all the feet that have stepped in and out of my home, my life, and my heart in the past 11 years. I can stand on that mat and stand with strangers who became friends, friends who became family, and family who make the mat worth its welcome. My mat has beautifully worn to ruin; but after all isn't that what a mat is for?

I like my couch with its now uneven cushions and hollowed out sweet spots. I like the discolored spine of my Bible and the creased up pages of my favorite books. I like foot prints in my carpet and fingerprints on my car windows. I like crows feet (I better) and laugh lines and freckles and scars. These are signs of life lived loved.

My new goal is to not try to avoid wear and tear but instead to wear out well. After all, isn't that what a life is for?




No comments:

Post a Comment