Monday, August 2, 2010

Proverbial Shorts

I wore shorts today. I don’t usually wear shorts because that seems like a little too much Allison, but today it was particularly hot and I knew that I was going to be outside for several hours so I pulled out the one pair of shorts I own and wore them like I meant to. I wanted to be more comfortable. My wearing shorts did not change the temperature outside or bring on a more consistent breeze, but wearing shorts did make the conditions a little more bearable.

That’s what being comforted is, is it not? Not a change of our circumstances but rather what is necessary to endure them; otherwise, we wouldn’t say we were comforted, but would declare that we had been healed, rescued, or delivered. Comfort is not the removal of hardship but is the encouragement and help necessary to persist even when it seems impossible to do so. At the very least comfort gives weight to our feet until the winds of despair have died down.

“This is my comfort in my affliction, That Your word has revived me.” Psalm 119:50

No comments:

Post a Comment