Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Life Syllabus

Today is “Syllabus Day” – something of a holiday in my circle, but not in a good way. I am finishing up a Master’s degree as an online/extension student. Every semester I receive an email from each of my professors for that term containing the course syllabus. I read the syllabus for my upcoming class, review the book list, my head explodes, then I resume my day. There is a lot of stress on Syllabus Day because I become aware of just how busy I’m about to get and just how ignorant and ill equipped I feel. The work seems so daunting and I am always fearful that I will cave under the pressure.

Reading God’s Word is sometimes like Syllabus Day. We are blessed and relieved to have been given such clear instruction for our purpose even provided objectives, assignments, and in some instances a grading scale. But as sure as we are invigorated by this sense of direction we are gripped by fear and inadequacy. However, we need not stress (no one’s head has to explode) because the great Shepherd of the sheep has been raised from the dead and the God of peace will equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen (Hebrews 13:20-21).


Just imagine that the fine print on the bottom of our life syllabus is that the God who ordains all things is going to pour out the grace and equipping necessary to please Him. What a teacher! What a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment